villa brunesca
Villa Brunesca was built by the Sponza ship-owners in about 1845.
It has three floors, a parK some ' barchesse' (stable buildings), a Venetian well ant three recently restored frescoes on its faÇade. Four stone pillars, probably imported from the Orient, support the arches of the former stables.
The villa is typically Venetian in style, noticeable in the design of its faÇade, its planimetric scheme and the decoration of the main front .
Its pattern of holes, central fillet at the entrance, first floor balcony, simple window frames and Istria stone window ledges are all characteristic of a type of villa that was popular before the era of Palladian reform and that was widespread during the entire Venetian rule.
The layout of the villa is that of the typical lagoon villa, with a central hall leading to rooms at the sides of the stairs. Certain aspects of the exterior decoration recall the Venetian tradition, blending well with the inland Gothic tradition.
The roofline is interrupted by a garret with a curved gable, an element that allows us to date the building as 17th or 18th century. Its two lateral wings might have been added later and this brings to mind the reproduction of a map in the land register of the noblewoman Elisabetta Cornaro, dated 1785, where the villa is shown with only one smaller wing on the right.
Alternatively, this might indicate that the villa was built for leisure pursuits, otherwise this late 18th century reproduction would also show othe buildings used for farming purposes built around the villa itself.
The buildings that stand close to the villa today also confirm this as they were built later (silk cocoon house). This does not mean that Villa Mason never had a core for farming activities but perhaps these were not of any considerable importance before the 19th century. Gaetano Mason purchased this property in 1954 and made it into an important production centre for his farm and wine cellar, thus expanding the wine bottling and selling activities that had already started back in 1922.